Re: [Monotone-devel] `mtn cat` garbling Windows newlines

From: richhguard-monotone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] `mtn cat` garbling Windows newlines
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 18:36:16 +0100 (BST)

> [Stephe]
> Please add your checkin comment to the issue (211), so the
> info is
> preserved in a more accessible form.

Will do.

> > Could someone run "./run_func_tests cat_do" for me on a
> Windows build?
>
> It fails; there is an extra CR in stdout:
>
> address@hidden dump numbers
> numbers:
> 00000000  310d 0a32 0d0a
>
>   1..2..
> address@hidden dump stdout
> stdout:
> 00000000  310d 0d0a 320d 0d0a
>
>    1...2...
> address@hidden dump expected
> expected:
> 00000000  310d 0a32 0d0a
>
>   1..2..

Thanks for running the test. I'm also pleased that the test fails and is
reproducible.

> The problem does seem to be cmd_files.cc dump_file. It needs
> to write a
> file_data object to a std::ostream. What function would you
> recommend
> instead of '<<'?

I did manage to get something compiled that passed the test on Linux but can't
find it now. It was something involving (), c_str() and val() on the 'dat'
variable (not sure about that one, might have been dat()). I didn't commit it
in case someone better at C++ had a better way.

Got to rush now, but I'll update the issue and try and find the patch.

Cheers