Re: [Monotone-devel] Status of blue sky ideas?

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Status of blue sky ideas?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 01:02:39 +0100

Am 13.12.11 00:33, schrieb Judson Lester:
> [...] So, seeing an email from a few months back that seemed to suggest that
> monotone is kind of done - no one seems to be keen to continue
> development, and everyone seems satisfied - was a little disheartening.
>
> What is the status of monotone as a project?

Software - and especially Open Source software - is only insofar
complete as long as no one complains about something and eventually
hacks on it.

The thing with monotone now is probably that there are just too few
people using and therefor possibly complaining (enough) about stuff. And
even if they'd complain, the alternatives seem - most of the time - much
more attractive.

monotone's code base ages in the meantime, and while it is still very,
very sophisticated in many areas, it might just scare away younger devs
because its C++, and not Ruby, or Python, or Java.

So yes, development kind of ceased, and I'm not happy on that fact
either, but its actually all about participation. It brings us nothing
to whine about the fact that nobody hacks on it; if you, or me or
anybody else _cares_ about monotone and starts hacking on it again, than
it will live further, if not, it will die. Its as simple as that.

Unfortunately my personal time for open source projects is very, very
limited these days, so I cannot bring much into this anymore. We really
need fresh blood...

Thomas.