[Monotone-devel] Updated Issue 175 - Usher hates Monotone saying anythin

From: code
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Updated Issue 175 - Usher hates Monotone saying anything other than "beginning service" (contrib)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 10:23:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

The following issue has been updated:

175 - Usher hates Monotone saying anything other than "beginning service"
Project: tools and contributions
Labels:
 Type:Defect
 Priority:Medium

Comments (last first):

# By Richard Levitte, Jun  1, 2011:

I'd suggest trying on revision 1336ca3b4c1b316eeeec33f333f7506dcc40a858 and see
if that makes life better...

# By Richard Levitte, Jun  1, 2011:

This issue has really been around for some time, just not addressed before now.

I just has a look at the code, and I believe it should be possible to remove
all the code that looks for "beginning service", and instead add some code in
server::connect that loops around sock::connect as long as the monotone server
that was just forked is still up.  Something like that...
I'll experiment a bit and see what I can come up with.

 Owner: levitte

# By Judson Lester, May 27, 2011:

Steps to reproduce the problem:
1. Add a print statement to your rcfile "print('hello out there')
2. Start usher such that that rcfile will load
3. Attempt to sync with usher

Expected result:

Ideally: usher forks monotone and sync begins.

Less ideally: usher reports somewhere, anywhere that the output "hello out
there" is not the expected "beginning service"

Actual result:

"Received warning from usher: Cannot fork server."

This is caused by server::fork checking only the first line for 'beginning
service' based on the commented assumption that otherwise monotone's stderr is
reporting that it failed to launch.

A side effect of this is that adding -v to the monotone args will also silently
crash Usher.

--
Issue: https://code.monotone.ca/p/contrib/issues/175/