[Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-debian] Over-complicated debian/rules

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-debian] Over-complicated debian/rules
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 06:18:16 -0500

Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Stephen Leake
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>  Note in particular that 'dh', AFAIK, still does
>>> not support the hacks that are necessary to prevent the manual from
>>> getting built on the buildds (which in turn is what keeps monotone
>>> transitions from getting entangled with TeXLive transitions, so we
>>> *really* do not want to lose that).
>>
>> I don't follow. Why doesn't the manual build with current Debian
>> Squeeze? It builds when I try it on my Debian Squeeze
>
> The manual builds fine on a normal installation of Squeeze, yah.
>
> It is, however, necessary to *prevent* the manual from being built
> (and then thrown away) by Debian's buildd network when it rebuilds the
> "monotone" package for all architectures.  Not because it wouldn't
> work, but because to do so the source package would have to express a
> Build-Depends (not to be confused with a Build-Depends-Indep) on TeX,
> and that in turn would mean that during periods where TeX didn't work
> correctly on some architectures, monotone could not transition to
> testing, despite there being nothing wrong with monotone itself.

I understand.

Personally, I would keep the dependence on TeX, and complain loudly
every time it causes a problem, in an effort to bring about the correct
solution you describe below. But that's a choice of long-term strategy,
and you seem to be more familiar with how to get things done in Debian
than I am.

Let's at least put comments in 'debian/rules' that explain the problem
and the chosen solution.

--
-- Stephe