Re: [Monotone-devel] Contributed scripts and how to handle them...

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Contributed scripts and how to handle them...
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:59:29 +0000

Stephen Leake wrote:
CooSoft Support <address@hidden> writes:

1) I take it what I need to get up to speed on tests can be found
under the notes directory?

I found it fairly easy just to read the existing tests, and test/*.lua.

2) Cross-platform issues, e.g. could I even run diff -r on say a
Windows platform?

Yes. Compiling monotone on Windows requires MinGW, which provides bash
and gnu coreutils. So just pretend you are on a POSIX system.
Excellent - will write the tests accordingly. Interesting about requiring MinGW, I thought they used MS Visual studio. Ok will do that and if necessary the platform tests can be put in if all else fails. I assume that a standard Perl interpreter is included in the Windows build environment (that is what the script is written in)?

Many thanks, Tony.
Would it be enough to only test on say Linux/Unix/OSX?

No, we officially support MinGW and Cygwin. But that doesn't mean you
have to run tests there. I (and a couple other people) will run the
testsuite on MinGW and Cygwin, and fix/report any problems.

On the other hand, some tests don't work on MinGW; that's what
"skip_if(ostype == "Windows")" is for. It exits a test with a
non-failure status.

Contrib stuff could be limited to non-MinGW, but it would be nice if
that were not the case.