Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] net.venge.monotone.sou

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [Monotone-commits-diffs] net.venge.monotone.source-tree-cleanup: d54c8c17eeebbe7dd6bb30d4d10996db79de24f2
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 05:18:07 -0500

Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:36:46 -0500, Stephen Leake
> <address@hidden> said:
>
> stephen_leake> Ok, that's a problem.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> Maybe we can make EPS_FIGURES be empty on Win32 MinGW?
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> Is there a reason to build monotone.ps, when .pdf is available?
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> If it comes down to a choice between monotone.ps and
> win32-installer, I
> stephen_leake> think we can live without monotone.ps.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> this gets back to the question I asked:
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> What Makefile targets are supposed to work?
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> I tested monotone.pdf, but not monotone.ps. Is there some
> other target
> stephen_leake> that builds monotone.ps? 'dist' apparently doesn't.
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> What other targets do I need to test when messing with
> Makefiles?
>
> Have a look at revision adea9595011591375f0fc9c48bf741ae59cf328f, the
> dependencies are a lot saner now.
>
> Really, not having monotone.texi in a subdirectory compared to
> Makefile.am is so much simpler.  The way automake differs in behavior
> is huge (and I can understand why, considering all variants of make
> it's trying to be compatible with!).

Ok, that does look better.

I'm getting an error from autoconf on Debian and MinGW:

address@hidden autoreconf -i
doc/Makefile.am:44: installing `doc/mdate-sh'
doc/Makefile.am:44: installing `doc/texinfo.tex'
Makefile.am:600: variable `CLEAN_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
Makefile.am:600: library has `CLEAN' as canonical name (possible typo)

On Debian:

address@hidden autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.67

On MinGW:
SABUL$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.63

After that, 'make distcheck' fails on Debian:

make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/Projects/monotone/monotone.source-tree-cleanup-build/monotone-1.0dev/_build/doc'

cd ../../doc

mkdir: cannot create directory `.am17349': Permission denied

At this point, the working directory is
monotone.source-tree-cleanup-build/monotone-1.0dev/doc, which has
permissions dr-xr-xr-x, which is why the mkdir fails.

Apparently distcheck doesn't expect the makefile commands to write to
the source directory (which makes sense); it changes the source
directory permissions to a-w. But this is a standard autotool hack to
backup some tex files.

And it works in main.

Then immediately:

../../doc/monotone.texi: No such file or directory

This is from trying to run makeinfo. But that file exists!

Building monotone.info not inside the distcheck directory works:

cd monotone.source-tree-cleanup-build/doc
make ../../monotone.source-tree-cleanup/doc/monotone.info

On MinGW, I'm getting link errors in mtn.exe.  Clearly time to go to bed
and try again tomorrow ...

--
-- Stephe