Re: [Monotone-devel] Recruiting and Planning

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Recruiting and Planning
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:04:22 +0100

Am 26.11.2010 16:23, schrieb Hendrik Boom:
>> 2) the wiki is in a horrid state and the manual could need some cleanups
>> as well (e.g. moving stuff like the long discussions at the end and
>> other smaller things). as the response on my "Road to 1.0" mail was
>> rather low and we all don't like to do these things on our own I am for
>> holding another mini sprint, i.e. one full or two half days, depending
>> on the feedback, this time called "docathon" because of the emphasis on
>> documentation. we should roughly team up beforehand though so that we do
>> not end with an inconistent result at the end.
>
> I'd like to help with the documentation.  If it's a matter of
> reorganising what's already there, cleaning up awkward phrasing,
> making things less obscure than the are already (provided I know
> what needs to be said) I can certianly help.
>
> If it's a metter of providing information that's not there at
> the moment, I can't say I can help; most of my knowledge of
> monotone comes from the documentation, and what's not there is
> not there.
>
> But I can draft best guesses that might be of use to beginners,
> subject to complaints by those who really know the stuff.

We need a lot of first user documentation, for example "monotone for XXX
users" where "XXX" is one of git, mercurial and svn (at least). We have
a mtn for cvs users part in the manual, but I'd like to move that out
there and put it into the wiki to the others. This is just an example,
there are other first user docs needed as well.

So, as a proficient user you are the perfect match to work on the
documentation and your work is very welcome! :)

> I am not available in November, though.

We have to find a matching date before anyways and its unlikely that
this will be in November, so no problem at all.

> I'll probably have to
> register in some way with the wiki or the central monotone
> repository, though.  Where and how do I do that?  I gather the
> details have changed recently.

If you want to edit the wiki, you can do so online (register an account
and start editing) or offline via monotone.

For the latter register an account on code.monotone.ca and put your
public key there. Once you've done that drop me a note and I'll add you
to the appropriate project (monotone-web) for push access.

Thanks,
Thomas.