Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: exec attr on Cygwin

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: exec attr on Cygwin
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:25:40 -0400

Lapo Luchini <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> There is one more wrinkle; when mtn checks out a plain text file, Cygwin
>> sees it as executable. We might be able to fix that, with some ACL magic?
>
> Do you mean checked out with mtn-mingw?

Yes. That does get confusing.

> Because the ones checked out with mtn-cygwin are correctly executable
> (or not, depending on manifest) as far as I remember... I'm on a
> FreeBSD laptop right now though, I'll check better on sunday.

Yes, I just checked; that is correct.

So an alternate fix for issue 97 is to use the Cygwin mtn to checkout
nvm when building with Cygwin. That will be very error prone, so I'll
leave the hook solution in place.

> PS: are you using NTFS or FAT32? I'm almost sure FAT32 doesn't support
> ACLs and thus everything is executable even after a "chmod -x".

NTFS. In Cygwin, running chmod -x does clear the executable bit.

MinGW also has a chmod executable, but it does not affect the executable
bit. Sigh.

But we should be able to fix MinGW mtn checkout (actually, all file
create) to not set the executable bit if mtn:execute attr is not
present. And also check the ACL in is_executable. We certainly don't
need it for 0.99, but it would be nice for 1.0.

--
-- Stephe