Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.automate_get_roster

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.automate_get_roster
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:04:47 +0200

Am 05.10.2010 15:43, schrieb Markus Wanner:
> However, I see no need for this "optimization" on my development
> machines. And given that monotone already is slow, I'm somewhat
> concerned about its impacts on performance. Can it be turned off?

Not easily without equally leveraging a couple of checks which should
ensure that each file has always an accompanying file size recorded.
Currently a couple of commands would just hit invariants. We could make
this configurable via a database variable, though.

On the other hand, my local time measurements showed no big time
penalties, even on the initial commit of a tree of the size of the linux
kernel. (The commit took several minutes, but it did without file size
saving the same.) The only other side effect which showed up is of
course a slight increase in the database size. For my local nvm*
database this was less than 2MB (total db size was ~200MB).

Thomas.