Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANN] monotone 0.43 released

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [ANN] monotone 0.43 released
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 06:31:16 -0500

On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 09:49 +0000, Phil Hannent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well done on the release.
>
> Thomas Keller wrote:
> >   * monotone can now be configured to use forward deltas which speeds
> >     netsync servers quite a lot.
> Quick question, I assume that both the server and client need to be upgraded
> for
> this to take effect?

Only the server needs to be upgraded, as the wire format doesn't change.
But, the server needs a fresh database because setting delta-direction
only affects how newly received deltas will be stored.

mtn -d faster-db.mtn db init
# need forward deltas to speed up pulls, but probably still also
# want normal reverse deltas so that receiving
#   A    <- day 1
#  / \
# B   \  <- day 2
#      C <- day 3
# won't incur larger costs to calculate A's file versions when C
# is received (if B and C touch the same files)
mtn -d faster-db.mtn set database delta-direction both
# populate the new db, using the kind(s) of deltas given above
mtn-0.43 -d faster-db.mtn pull <old-server> '*'
<upgrade server to 0.43, and replace server db with faster-db.mtn>