Re: [Monotone-devel] public/private key hashes

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] public/private key hashes
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:48:34 +0000

On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 16:55 +0000, Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> There are a few places that output private-key hashes:
>    automate genkey
>    automate keys
>    ls keys
>
> The private key hash doesn't really identify the private half of a
> particular keypair, because it's of the encrypted (depends on passphrase
> and some randomization) form.
>
> We also don't store bare private keys any more, when written out they
> always include the public half as well.
>
> Does anyone object to removing privkey hashes completely, and using the
> hash of the public half instead? Mostly this would mean that "automate
> keys" and "automate genkey" stanzas would have one "hash [...]" line
> instead of "public_hash [...]" and "private_hash [...]" lines.

This is in revision c8284bfdadeae01d02c71956fa7f5cc69f7e1d80 on
net.venge.monotone.no-privkey-hashes if anyone wants to look at it. I'm
thinking I'll merge it shortly after the release.

--
Timothy

Free public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net
If monotone breaks network compatibility you'll see it here
first (probably even before the new version shows up in your
distro's repositories).