Re: [Monotone-devel] Build failure on MacOS X

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Build failure on MacOS X
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:13:01 +0100

Thomas Keller schrieb:
> William Uther schrieb:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   I notice that the current head fails to build the documentation on
>> MacOS X if you're using the fink package manager for your dependencies.
>> The problem is that the fink package manager has an ancient version of
>> gettext (0.14) and its version of xgettext doesn't handle the
>> '--package-name' option.  The error is below.
>>
>>   I don't know when they'll get around to using a current version of
>> gettext.  I'm currently trying to use the updated packages described here:
>>
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg17761.html
>>
>> but that might not be an option for everyone (and I don't know if it
>> works yet).  It seems that the MacPorts packaging system has a newer
>> version of gettext that works, so that might also be an option for some.
>
> I'm now the maintainer of the MP monotone package and I've successfully
> build 0.43dev with the MP provided libs some time ago. At least for me
> there is no reason to use Fink, I've tried it some time ago and most
> stuff was horribly outdated back then. But if you use it, feel free to
> submit patches to either Fink or monotone so that it will work there as
> well.

Argh, I was now bitten by the same problem on a rather "ancient"
openSUSE 10.3 which also comes only with gettext 0.16 and does not know
of --package-name or --package-version either.

Since 0.17 came out in November 2007 (a bit more than 1 1/4 years ago),
do we really want to nag people with older distros (like me)? I'd
probably patch this out for the openSUSE rpms I'll be preparing, but the
question is if we really need these options for anything else than
commentary in the pot header...

Thomas.