Re: [Monotone-devel] Mtn automate select p: Bug

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Mtn automate select p: Bug
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:55:37 +0100

Anthony Edward Cooper schrieb:
>    Hi peeps,
>
>    Don't know if this one has been fixed already, but try doing `mtn au
> select p:0' on the net.venge db, it doesn't like it! My db sync details
> are:
>
> database: default-exclude-pattern
> database: default-include-pattern net.venge*
> database: default-server monotone.ca
> known-servers: monotone.ca .....
>
>    Version on mtn is 0.42 running on a 32 bit WhiteBox 4 Respin 1 (very
> similar to RHAS4U3).
>
>    Did the command:
> mtn --db=test-0.40.mtn au select p:0
>
>    And got:
> mtn: fatal: std::logic_error: selectors.cc:251: invariant
> 'I(!value.empty())' violated
> mtn: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
> mtn: please send this error message, the output of 'mtn version --full',
> mtn: and a description of what you were doing to address@hidden
> mtn: wrote debugging log to /home/aecoope/.monotone/dump
> mtn: if reporting a bug, please include this file

The problem is that decode_hexenc (as used in selectors.cc:196) doesn't
cope with single digit "hex" values, they're all evaluated to an empty
string. Try f.e. "p:9", the same invariant fires. I've stumbled upon the
same problem in other areas before. A possible solution could be to
"pad" uneven counts of hex values with leading zeros, i.e. "9" would be
expanded to "09". These are then correctly processed by Botan's
Hex_Decoder. But this is probably not what people expect, since they
rather want that to be decoded to something like "9*".

Thomas.