Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: more on commit without -b option

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: more on commit without -b option
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:56:23 +0100

Lapo Luchini schrieb:
> Thomas Keller wrote:
>>> Would that be ok with you?
>> Yes, I very much second this proposal, because it also means very low
>> impact on other commands which rely on a proper "branch" setting in
>> _MTN/options. The only commands which do have to know about a new
>> "commitbranch" option are actually mtn branch, mtn commit and mtn revert
>> (and maybe mtn status to display the setting).
>
> http://monotone.ca/wiki/Branches/nvm.commit_without_-b/
>
> I just propagated mainline into that branch... merge wasn't difficult
> except a testcase which seemed a bit strange to me, but it compiles
> correctly. I'll finish running the testsuite overnight.

Cool! Have we decided already if / how revert should act in case of a
new_branch / commitbranch setting or should get `mtn branch` a
`--revert` option for this?

> What do we want to do with that branch?
> Seems a nice approach to me...

Yes, it is a nice approach and it also prevents mistakes like
accidentally putting a revision into the wrong branch and pushing it; I
guess this is something which not only newbies could suffer from, but
also scatterbrained people like me ;)

Thomas.