Re: [Monotone-devel] Dealing with lost key

From: dlakelan
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Dealing with lost key
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:44:20 -0800

Timothy Brownawell wrote:

Dropping anything really doesn't work with our architecture. If *anyone*
forgets to drop it, it will come back next time that person syncs.

Ok, rather than dropping, perhaps there should be a way for a user to invalidate a set of certs and then create new certs to replace them. The idea being to tell monotone that certain certificates are known to be invalid (for example because a key has been discovered to be invalid or untrustworthy), but that we have other reasons to trust various certs (ie. we've validated the changes ourselves and even though the key can't be trusted, we want to trust the revisions based on our own certificates).

Let me give an example use case (other than the one that I have already encountered).

Person A has been contributing to a project that Person B is participating in. Person A trusts person B's key. Person B begins to write code that Person A does not approve of (say it has some hidden functionality, backdoors, etc). person A wants to invalidate person B's keys for all future contributions, but retain the work that was done by person B before. Person A also wants to communicate to other members of the collaboration that he does not trust person B, and that he has reviewed person B's code and only approves of some of the changes...

I could imagine that this sort of thing might happen every so often... and right now monotone doesn't seem to provide a clear mechanism for this kind of trust revocation and/or secondary certification.

Thanks again,
Dan