[Monotone-devel] nvm.stripped on Win32 MinGW

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: [Monotone-devel] nvm.stripped on Win32 MinGW
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:53:15 -0500

I'm working on nvm.stripped on Win32 MinGW.

So far, configure gets to testing for pcre.

I've installed pcre 7.8 from http://www.pcre.org/

configure finds pcre-config, and says it's using
PCRE_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include

but the actuall compiler command line does _not_ use that flag.

I looked in m4/pcre.m4, and don't see anything obvious wrong. the
configure script itself looks correct as well.

I tried setting CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include; that was ignored as well.

Ah! I put debug statements in configure; something changed ac_link so
it no longer includes $CFLAGS! it now has $CXXFLAGS $CPPFLAGS instead!
This appears to be done by the AC_LANG([C++]) statment, or maybe one of
the CXX statements after that.

So I guess m4/pcre.m4 needs to be changed to set CXXFLAGS instead? or
both, in case someone uses it with a C compiler. m4/lua.m4 sets both
CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS.

Applying that change in m4/pcre.m4 (in two places) lets configure
recognize pcre.

Aside; why doesn't mingw g++ look in -I/usr/local/include in the first
place? It does on Debian, which may be why this bug in pcre.m4 has not
been found yet.

On to Botan ...

--
-- Stephe