Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Mini Summit 2009

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Mini Summit 2009
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:16:49 -0500

Lapo Luchini <address@hidden> writes:

> Markus Wanner wrote:
>> Welcome to the Monotone Mini Summit 2009,
>>
>> I will be around mostly, but also have important non-mtn things on my
>> agenda (I'm looking for work in Zurich).
>
> I'm here 'till 18:00 CET (more or less) both today and tomorrow unless
> some real life decides to intrude in the agenda; and I mean life as in
> life: a close friend of mine is in the process of fork()-ing ;-)

I'm here (east coast America, near Washington, DC) for the weekend,
and Monday (Martin Luther King holiday) and Tuesday (Barack Obama
inauguration; nobody in their right mind will leave their house around
here, due to the millions of visitors :).

I can work on Debian, Windows, and Cygwin.

Where is the IRC? I can't find instructions for that on the mtn wiki
(I _really_ miss the search facility there!). I have Jabber with an
IRC backend installed on my Debian box; where do I point it?

>> For the summit, I have only one goal: preparing nvm.stripped for landing.
>
> As a FreeBSD Port mantainer and CygWin package mantainer, I really look
> forward it; I never liked the "we include it all" approach much, even if
> I can appreciate its reasons...
>
>> First of all, that involves more testing. I've successfully compiled
>> nvm.stripped on these systems already:
>>  * Debian + Ubuntu Linux
>>  * FreeBSD (6.4 and 7.1), Lapo reported 7.0 as well
>>  * Gentoo Hardened
>
> I'll be testing CygWin shortly.

Do we have updated/test installation instructions for nvm.stripped?
I suggest we start one in monotone/INSTALL.windows, INSTALL.cygwin

I understand the basic idea is to unbundle the various "other
packages" from monotone. That means we need to install them manually
on Windows, and maybe thru the Cygwin installer for Cygwin. Either
way, we need detailed instructions.

In particular, a canonical source for each package, and a list of
versions of each package that are known to work.

>> As we have reports from users on Windows and Solaris, I want to try
>> these as well, before landing. I've virtual machines in place, but their
>> lack of a usable packaging system (and lack of a real shell with ssh, in
>> case of windows) makes testing pretty hard. Help with that is greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> Cygwin is a life-saver in that regard.
> I use its rxvt-zsh even to execute plain win32 commands...
> I can't suffer cmd.exe lack of features!

MSYS/Mingw also works, and is necessary for a non-Cygwin Win32 build.

I managed to get a Windows buildbot working once; the instructions are
on the wiki somewhere. They should probably be moved to
INSTALL.windows.buildbot, or something.

--
-- Stephe