[Monotone-devel] Mini Summit 2009

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Mini Summit 2009
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 09:46:01 +0100

Welcome to the Monotone Mini Summit 2009,

I will be around mostly, but also have important non-mtn things on my
agenda (I'm looking for work in Zurich). For the summit, I have only one
goal: preparing nvm.stripped for landing.

First of all, that involves more testing. I've successfully compiled
nvm.stripped on these systems already:
 * Debian + Ubuntu Linux
 * FreeBSD (6.4 and 7.1), Lapo reported 7.0 as well
 * Gentoo Hardened

As we have reports from users on Windows and Solaris, I want to try
these as well, before landing. I've virtual machines in place, but their
lack of a usable packaging system (and lack of a real shell with ssh, in
case of windows) makes testing pretty hard. Help with that is greatly
appreciated.

Second, I'd like to get the buildbot system into better shape. As
pointed out above, I've virtual machines for all the systems mentioned
so far. I've setup three buildbot slaves at work recently, so turning my
virtual machines into buildbots for monotone should be doable within
reasonable time. (However, as those virtual thingies consume memory, I
might not be able to run all of them all the time. My host server has 6
GiB of memory, the virtuals mostly have 0.5 GiB - not sure if that's
sufficient for compiling monotone w/o having to swap....)

As for the summit, I'm asking for two things:

 * Please keep discussions on the mailing list, on IRC or if you
absolutely need to on skype. But please don't abuse the wiki for that.
It's utterly hard to tell who said what there and close to impossible to
browse that offline (unlike plain mails). (Original question: why
submitting ideas for this summit there? Who's the "I" who proposed the
"branch rename" command?...)

 * And second... enjoy the summit!

Happy hacking

Markus Wanner