Re: [Monotone-devel] bug in monotone

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] bug in monotone
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 16:32:57 +0100

Hello Helmut!

> i got the following error message:
>
>     mtn: Fataler Fehler: std::logic_error: paths.cc:425: Invariante
> 'I(utf8_validate
>     (utf8(data)) && !has_bad_component_chars(data) && data != "." && data !=
> "..")'
>     verletzt
>     mtn: Dies ist ganz bestimmt ein Fehler in monotone.
>     mtn: Bitte senden Sie diese Nachricht, die Ausgabe von 'mtn version
> --full',
>     mtn: sowie eine Beschreibung Ihrer Tätigkeit an address@hidden
>     mtn: wrote debugging log to c:/Work/Home/.monotone/dump
>     mtn: if reporting a bug, please include this file
>
> output of mtn version --full and dump are attached.

Unfortunately the dump was not very useful, because it dumped the trace
of mtn version full rather than the original command which crashed for you.

Anyways, the error is quite common and unfortunately won't be fixed any
time soon. The origin is probably a filename in your workspace which
contains non-ascii data. Since we do not support conversions from
different filesystem character sets to our internal utf8 representation
yet, we simply depend on the underlying operating system to give us
everything in utf8. You can probably "fix" the problem by only using
ASCII for now...

Thanks for your report and sorry for the bad news.
Thomas.