Re: [Monotone-devel] heads up on nvm.stripped

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] heads up on nvm.stripped
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:49:21 -0500

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 05:26:48PM +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:

> I fear the #ifdef's are not quite enough. We'd have to check for the
> botan version dynamically. So I'd say we better wait a bit until that
> API stabilizes.

Many of the changes in the last few releases were made specifically
with regards to what mtn needs re SHA-1, since mtn has been a sort of
acid test application so far in terms of botan's performance
abilities. So hopefully they will actually prove useful in
Monotone. But waiting for 1.8 to be released and widely included in
distros doesn't seem like a bad idea.

> ..or even store the setting in _MTN/options because such a benchmark
> might not pay-off every time mtn is invoked. Alternatively have it
> stored in monotonerc and set as a system config during installation of
> monotone. Storing in _MTN/options sounds easier to automate, so I'm
> currently favoring that variant.

Good point, I had not considered caching the result but that does make
sense. I like _MTN/options for this. benchmark_sha1 could optionally
update _MTN/options with the fastest provider.

-Jack