[Monotone-devel] Re: dates in monotone

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: dates in monotone
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:42:47 +0200

Hi,

Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I should add that this is only a problem because the CVS file format
> uses Unix-epoch second counts as a storage representation.  The
> standards say nothing about the epoch used by time_t; it's not even
> guaranteed to be an arithmetic type!  The problematic Windows gmtime()
> and mktime() are correct as long as they are used only in conjunction
> with themselves and the rest of the <time.h> API -- you'll note that
> date_t::now() does use time() and gmtime().  It is only when
> interpreting integers defined by some external format to be Unix-epoch
> second counts that we have to do the math by hand.

Understood.

> So please don't create new situations where Unix-epoch second counts
> are stored on disk or transmitted over the net.

Uhm.. yeah, I've created such a situation in date_t::now(). Thanks for
pointing that out.

In rev af1cd9d04a3cabab86dc14c8167ff5e83b26d6a6, I've reverted that to
using the system's gmtime() to gain a struct tm, which is independent of
the system's epoch. Instead of creating a date string from there, I'm
now using our own date_t::mktime() function, which is guaranteed to use
Unix epochs.

Regards

Markus Wanner