Re: [Monotone-devel] ikiwiki

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ikiwiki
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:01:28 +0200

Lapo Luchini schrieb:
There's been some slowdown in the migration effort, but maybe that is also because we're not using it already?

More or less half of the pages were migrated already, and the number is as high as some 2/3 if you don't count personal pages and branch pages. Might it be the time to "go online" with it, and continue the migration?

It's not nice to have only one wiki visibile, and that one with a big "migration in progress, please wait"… we could have them both linked in homepage for some time…

I absolutely second the request to go online with the new wiki, if two things are taken care of before:

a) we arranged a proper front page for the wiki - I especially don't like to see the big bunch of links there again we've had on the old wiki, let us group things properly together and do some nice box tricks!

b) we configured and enabled some kind of online edit plugin, since this should lower the barrier for small updates or updates in general from users with no mtn key and access yet. The addition or change of a project in ProjectsUsingMonotone is a good example why this should be enabled. I haven't looked yet whats already there, but I think even something simple like "-> edit -> preview -> send patch on save to monotone-devel" (or a new list, monotone-wiki-edits?) should already be sufficient - if of course there is some captcha in-place which prevents automated patch sending...

Furthermore we should also look later on on those pages which have not yet been converted if they're worth of being converted at all (things like new pages which contain just one implementation idea might be moved somewhere else, for example).

Thomas.