[Monotone-devel] minor heads up for Windows people

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: [Monotone-devel] minor heads up for Windows people
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 01:38:31 -0400

On mainline there is now a small program called "check_net" that the
testsuite invokes to decide whether or not it should run netsync
tests.  This was needed to deal with a problem with some of the Debian
build daemons; they disallow use even of the loopback interface by
build jobs.  The source is unix/tester-check-net.c, if anyone would
like to see what it does.  It's completely self-contained.

The program is only implemented for Unix at present; it uses fork()
and the sockets API.  There is a stub in the win32 directory which
always claims that network tests are fine. I do not know nearly enough
about Windows network programming to implement it for that platform.
I also don't know if a real implementation would be useful to have.
So I'm throwing the question over to you, Windows people - take a
look, please, and implement if you think it useful.

(I'm hoping that in the medium term, like sometime this year, we'll be
able to run these tests over local domain sockets instead of IP
loopback, which would make the need for this go away; but netxx's code
for that is broken and I would prefer to replace it with a
non-moribund library, but that in turn is blocked on the library-build
project...  I assume there is *some* equivalent of AF_UNIX on
Windows...)

zw