Re: [Monotone-devel] Speedup chances

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Speedup chances
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 16:37:41 -0400

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 10:25:48PM +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> No, the pthread hack seems to provide all (or at least most) pthread
> functions, thus replacing libpthread with noop functions. At least I
> find it rather surprising to see a a performance hit for that, but then
> again, what do I know about the pthread library?

Huh. I would file that under 'not at all expected'.

> I've just started playing around with some interface to threads (see
> nvm.threaded). I'm pretty familiar with twisted's deferreds, but it's
> pretty hard (or at least ugly) to do something similar in C++.

I just today took a look at that branch, actually. And yeah, doing
this stuff in C++ is pretty fugly. There were proposals for C++0x to
add a basic threadpool+futures implementation, not highly featureful
but enough for basic operations to be simple and fast, but I think it
got dropped in the most recent updates, and we're back down to basic
thread/mutex/condvar stuff that Boost.Threads or whatever can do
easily anyway.

-Jack