Re: [Monotone-devel] resolving name conflicts; file suturing vs drop

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] resolving name conflicts; file suturing vs drop
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:45:43 +1000

On 08/05/2008, at 7:34 AM, Thomas Moschny wrote:

Hi Markus,

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
Can you please be more specific? Which three versions of the same file
are you referring to? I only see two [...]

Ok, here's the graph again. But be warned, we need a lot of characters ;)

  A: 1,foo,v   B: 2,foo,w
   /\          /\
  /  \        /  \
 |    \______/____\
 |          /     C: 1&2,foo,x
 |         /        \
 |        /          \
 |       D: 2,bar,y   \
 |______/              |
 E: 1,foo,v            |
  \ 2,bar,y            |
                    F: ???

It looks more complicated, but it isn't. I just added sort of a manifest to each revision, with the following format: "REV: node_id,path,contents".

A and B create foo independently, with different contents. D renames the one from B to bar and changes its content. E is a simple merge, no magic. It contains both files, foo and bar with different contents. Now, in C suturing takes place, denoted by the node_id '1&2' (whatever that means). In C also a
content merge took place.

Now, consider F, merging E and C. How does its manifest look like?

Ack!

*hides*

Will        :-}