Re: [Monotone-devel] resolving name conflicts; file suturing vs drop

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] resolving name conflicts; file suturing vs drop
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 09:50:29 +0200

Hi,

William Uther wrote:
     / \
    a   b
   / \ / \
  c   d   e
   \  |  /
    \ | /

Let's check for merging c and d: common ancestors are: o and a, clearly, a is lower, so that's the LCA. Doing a 3-way merge with that should work just fine. Say that merges into g.

If we then merge d and e, we have b as common ancestor, and merge into h.

Now we have g and h left and want to merge those. If you forget about node ids, and pretend this would be a simple scalar merge, we'd have to merge with o as the common ancestor, right? So this probably poses problems for us, because o doesn't carry our file.

Couldn't d be the common ancestor in that case? You want an ancestor close to the revs being merged, not closer to the root of the DAG, right?

Uh... you are right, cool. I've been overly cautious...

The set of common ancestors of h and g is: o, a, b and d. And d clearly is a descendant of all other common ancestors.

So that means, there is no 'content merge problem' for suturing, right?

In general it seems that you're going to get one of a few cases:

i) The rev with the suture is an ancestor, of both sides, in which case you have at least one common ancestor. ii) The rev with the suture is an ancestor of only one side, but in that case there should still be a common ancestor. iii) You haven't sutured - in which case you will get non-content conflicts, same as now. iv) You have sutured, but you're trying to merge two revs neither of which has the suture rev as an ancestor. Not sure what should happen here, but I'd be happy if this failed - you must merge in the suture node first. This could be treated the same as iii), no?

Ahhh. There may be a third option here. Use a disjoint sets (aka union-find) algorithm on node-ids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disjoint-set_data_structure
In this option, each node-id would have a pointer to a 'parent' node-id. If the parent is null then you use the node-id itself. Otherwise you keep following parent ids until you get to the final id of a node. You then merge as normal... (have to think about how to find a 'common ancestor' for three-way merge).

Again, same problem as above: there is no usable common ancestor for the merge.

Well, I think this might not be a problem. You just end up using the suture node as a common ancestor.

Correct, AFAICT now.

Regards

Markus