Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: OpenEmbedded looking to jump ship
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:20:08 -0700

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Bruce Stephens
<address@hidden> wrote:
> "Justin Patrin" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  > It seems that some of the folks at OpenEmbedded are now grumbling
>  > about use of monotone again and that some of our key developers are
>  > looking to switch to something else (hg or git)[1]. The main point
>  > of contention seems to revolve around, as we've seem lately on this
>  > list, getting rid of revisions. In this particular case a revision
>  > had been distributed that made unwanted changes. It was a head
>  > revision and was suspended by a developer but other developers who
>  > had versions of monotone prior to the suspend functionality blindly
>  > merged it with their code, causing a chain of suspensions/removals
>  > that was eventually fixed with a reverse patch.
>
>  So how, concretely, would this have played out better had OpenEmbedded
>  been using either hg or git?

That I don't know, I just thought I'd let you know that there's a
chance for discussion. I think that people have more of a feeling of
control with the other systems. I honestly don't know enough about hg
or git to comment on how they might solve this problem.

--
Justin Patrin