Re: [Monotone-devel] automate show_conflict

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] automate show_conflict
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:39:22 +0200

Stephen Leake schrieb:
As I understand it, the only downside of leaving use_workspace_options
true is that mtn might accidently read some random file with
unpredictable results if run outside a workspace. But the name of the
file is quite specific, and there are format checks on the structure
of the file, so I think that risk is acceptably small.

Hey, I was recently blamed to do a lookup in a map twice - what will people say if we read a file and its contents without using it... :)

And thats why I also like to have automate show_conflicts behave like
any other workspace automate command (f.e. inventory), which bails out
with "workspace required, but not found" before anything else.

That also seems like a good convention, but since
use_workspace_options is currently true, I don't think we can be sure
that all automate commands actually follow this convention.

In addition, automate show_conflicts is _not_ "like inventory"; it
only needs a workspace if it must search for the heads to compare, and
--branch is not given. So if the revids are given as arguments, or
--branch is given, it doesn't care whether a workspace is present.

Ok, not like inventory, correct, more like content_diff (but even this is not a 100% match, because it shows the workspace changes in this mode). Anyways, for show_conflicts its still just a convenience that it has "more magic" when run inside a workspace. The more I think about all this magic (which also needs to be tested separately) the more I think we should just drop it and make --branch mandatory.

And, lastly, I surely want that commands behave equally on stdio and
non-stdio usage :)

That is true now (with use_workspace_options true), so I don't see
what the problem is.

I updated to 25c98a0758c205f4e5e3f3c278588aefec7c342f and the test fails in line 66 with

mtn: misuse: branch 'net.venge.monotone.automate_show_conflict' has 0 heads; must be at least 2 for show_conflicts

Somehow the new error message is not used...

And again, I get two different error messages for stdio and non-stdio use:

$ ../../../mtn au show_conflicts
mtn: misuse: branch 'invalid-add' has 0 heads; must be at least 2 for show_conflicts

vs.

$ echo l14:show_conflictse | ../../../mtn au stdio
0:2:l:53:misuse: please specify a branch, with --branch=BRANCH

Thomas.