Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs_import
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:53:52 +0100

Hello Ralf,

Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
BTW, if you need a clean medium-sized CVS repository for testing which
is both very strict in its branch naming and layout and also contains a
reasonable amount of branches and sub-branches, revisions spreaded over
6 years and about 35000 commits, feel free to test with the OpenPKG CVS
("rsync -rav rsync://rsync.openpkg.org/openpkg-cvs/ /tmp/openpkg-cvs/").

Thanks for the hint. I've downloaded and tested it. Unfortunately, it still fails on an invariant... :-( Known issue, I think there even is a a test case for it.

For everybody interested in the inner workings of that beast, I've updated the wiki: http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/CvsImport.

There are still some issues, i.e.:

* non-UTF-8 filenames (i.e. as in the NetBSD repository). The tree_walker fails on those.

* blobs (revisions) which have dependencies into two branches. In monotone that's theoretically possible, but not in CVS. (i.e. Postgres repo)

 * deleted files might erronously appear in tagged revisions.

I'm working on those...

Please let me know if you have an urgent desire for importing a specific CVS repository or if you'd like to test importing one yourself.

Regards

Markus