Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] Monotone NETSYNC Hook Extension & Abstraction

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] Monotone NETSYNC Hook Extension & Abstraction Layer
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:50:41 -0700

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 07:53:16AM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007, William Uther wrote:
> > Or you could (in addition to dropping illegal certs) garbage collect any
> > revs with no branch certs or no descendants with branch certs at the end of
> > each sync.
>
> Yes, thanks that you mention this. This was one of our ideas, too. But
> we fair that this cannot be done reliably. Monotone in parallel serves
> connections, so if we garbage collect bad stuff at the end of a session
> the received stuff might be still already sent out again in a different
> session. The problem is that the sessions' data is auto-flushed to
> the database in smaller chunks and one not even can let one help by
> a database transaction here. That's why our idea is that it would be
> better if one already prevent the storage of bad revisions at all.

If you have dropped the cert then mtn will not send out the revision
(again, unless the revision has a descendent whose cert you accepted).

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco