Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Commit Template

From: Pablo Delgado
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Commit Template
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 01:02:11 -0400

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
Hello Pablo,

I'm not quite sure what exactly the use case for such a template is. The example you gave is certainly not convincing:

Pablo Delgado wrote:
Example:

PR Number:

A Purchase Requisition number? Or what's that PR supposed to mean? Anyway, IMO it's better practice to add application specific certificates, instead of embedding such information in the changelog. Makes it a lot easier to process later on.
Submitted By:
Reviewed By:
Approved By:

I suppose, at least one of these is already covered by the 'author' certificate. And again, for everything else I also recommend certificates rather than stuffing that into the changelog.

To me, this sounds much more like a request for making these things simpler to use, i.e. sending a request for approval of a newly committed revision to somebody else or stuff like that.

Regards

Markus

The contents of the template are not whats important in my example. I simple made one up to illustrate. In case you are still wondering what PR is, its Problem Report (as used by the FreeBSD project). Again, I put in an example but the actual contents are not important. The Project Leader can Define the template and decide how it is used.

-Pablo