Re: [Monotone-devel] Introduction: Pablo

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Introduction: Pablo
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:33:03 +0200

Hi Pablo!

Pablo Delgado schrieb:
> But overall monotone was simple to
> use, flexible, stable, secure and had the most hooks allowing for tight
> integration with other software used for Developement Tracking and work
> just as the documentation stated it should work. Great Job!!!

Cool! Thanks!

> I hope that I can be of help. I was reading your ROADMAP file in the src
> directory and saw that you guys are looking to write up a HACKERS guide
> for coding monotone. Maybe I can look at the code as I study it and
> start writing up a draft.
> Also, does the team have a formal SDLC? If so were can I read up on it?

AFAIK there is no such thing, we usually discuss something on the wiki
[0], the IRC channel or on the mailing list, make an implementation in a
branch (or send in a patch), write tests (unit tests and/or UI tests
which are written in Lua), create documentation for the feature, put it
for review and if it passes the review by a couple of people, we merge
it into the main branch.

From my experiences in the past this community usually returns the best
results if a certain topic / feature is not discussed to death
("bikeshed discussions" usually produce nothing than hot air), but
simply do a possible implementation, because code is in most cases way
more formal than human language.

And in general its better to start doing something which nags you with
the current monotone, than doing "just something", because in the latter
case people are usually not motivated enough to complete it or do it
good enough.

Anyways, we're always happy to accept patches!

Thomas.

[0] http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/
[1] irc://irc.oftc.net/#monotone

--