Re: [Monotone-devel] Using Monotone with PuTTY's Pageant

From: Ralf S. Engelschall
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Using Monotone with PuTTY's Pageant
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:19:33 +0200

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007, Richard Levitte wrote:

> In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:26:47 +0200, "Ralf S.
> Engelschall" <address@hidden> said:
>
> rse+monotone-devel> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007, Richard Levitte wrote:
> rse+monotone-devel>
> rse+monotone-devel> > In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 11 Sep 2007
> 13:32:27 +0200, "Ralf S. Engelschall" <address@hidden> said:
> rse+monotone-devel> >
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007, Ralf S.
> Engelschall wrote:
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> > 5. Load "example.rsa.ppk" in
> PuTTY's Pageant -- Voila!
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel>
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> Ok, sorry for perhaps not being
> clear enough: this
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> is for being able to load the
> Monotone RSA private
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> key already _during login_ to the
> Windows desktop,
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> of course. So it is already
> available when you
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> login to the Unix servers the first
> time. For just
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> a _temporary session solution_ one
> can simply use
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> the Unix ssh-add(1) command and
> this way load the
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> key into Pageant remotely, of
> course. But that's
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> not what I wanted. I want that the
> Monotone RSA
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> private key is loaded already at
> desktop login
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> times -- together with the other
> (regular) SSH
> rse+monotone-devel> > rse+monotone-devel> private keys.
> rse+monotone-devel> >
> rse+monotone-devel> > Ralf, bud, how did you do that with the other .ppk
> files?
> rse+monotone-devel>
> rse+monotone-devel> The other three .ppk files I load into my Pageant are
> just my SSH1 RSA,
> rse+monotone-devel> my SSH2 RSA and my SSH2 DSA private keys. Those I've also
> converted with
> rse+monotone-devel> PuTTYgen. It understands the SSH1 binary format and the
> SSH2 PEM format
> rse+monotone-devel> out of the box and can create corresponding .ppk files
> for them. There
> rse+monotone-devel> one doesn't need any additional conversions as far as I
> can remember
> rse+monotone-devel> (but it is already a few years ago since I've created my
> regular SSH
> rse+monotone-devel> keys and created the corresponding .ppk files for them).
>
> Can't you load "example.rsa.ppk" along with those other .ppk files?

Sure, that's what I'm doing, Richard. I've a Windows "shortcut"
for pageant.exe in my "Startup" folder and on the "Properties"
dialog of the shortcut I've added the paths to all 4 .ppk files as
command line arguments to "pageant.exe" and as all 4 .ppk files are
protected with the same password I just have to enter my password
once during login to the Windows desktops and as a result I get
my 3 regular SSH keys plus the additional Monotone key loaded and
have it available in all subsequent PuTTY sessions and in all
plink.exe(Windows)/xterm(Unix)/Xming(Windows) based terminals to my Unix
servers.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       address@hidden
                                       www.engelschall.com