Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync w/ mainline

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync w/ mainline
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 22:06:36 +1000

On 04/09/2007, at 7:37 PM, Thomas Moschny wrote:

Hi,

did someone else notice that, with current mainline, netsync wants to (re)send
a lot of revisions again and again?

I suspect this to be a side effect of suspend certs and/or the changed code
for determining branch heads.

While not being a real bug (in the sense of munging something), it is at least
annoying, and puts extra stress on the servers.

Yes. There actually seem to be two issues here. The first one was a bug in the suspend code. I thought I fixed it in revision a11039205cd784fdf22acc63e69a0fee073e216e and posted an email about it on the 27th of August.

And I thought the monotone.ca server had been updated because I saw the problem disappear a little while after I committed the fix, but it seems to be showing the problem again.

The next issue is that there seems to be a lot of data transfer to decide that there is nothing to transfer. e.g. if I do two syncs in a row of "net.venge.monotone*" then the second one was sending and receiving almost a megabyte of data for 0 updated revisions. At the moment I can't double check this one as I'm resending the 233 revisions in suspended branches every time.

Be well,

Will         :-}