[Monotone-devel] mtn rename question

From: Tim Kettler
Subject: [Monotone-devel] mtn rename question
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 22:42:01 +0200

Hi,

When doing a standard 'mtn rename ...' everything works as expected:

  address@hidden:~/Develop/testws$ mtn mkdir dir1
  mtn: adding dir1 to workspace manifest
  address@hidden:~/Develop/testws$ mtn rename dir1 renameddir1
  mtn: renaming dir1 to renameddir1 in workspace manifest

When I try to mimic this with a 'mv ... && mtn rename --bookkeep-only ...' it's not working:

  address@hidden:~/Develop/testws$ mtn mkdir dir1
  mtn: adding dir1 to workspace manifest
  address@hidden:~/Develop/testws$ mv dir1 renameddir1
address@hidden:~/Develop/testws$ mtn rename --bookkeep-only dir1 renameddir1 mtn: misuse: destination dir renameddir1/ is not versioned (perhaps add it?)

Notice the trailing slash in destdir. 'mtn rename --bookkeep-only ...' behaves exactly like the standard rename would when the destination directory exists, it tries to move the source directory to under the destination directory. This of course fails because 'renameddir1' is not versioned.

Shouldn't this automatism (appending the slash) be disabled and the rename just be recored in the manifest in the '--bookkeep-only ...' case? Or what other command should be used to sync the workspace with the filesystem in such a stituation.

I stumbled upon this while coding on a monotone plugin for Intellij IDEA, where I don't get notified about renames until after they happened in the filesystem.

Thanks
-Tim