[Monotone-devel] Adding the same file on two branches

From: Patrick Maheral
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Adding the same file on two branches
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:47:50 -0400

I've run into a problem that will probably create a "non-content" conflict and hope someone can suggest a work-around.

I am working on two projects, "A" and "B", where project "B" has branched off from project "A". I would like to propagate changes from project "A" to project "B", and have done so several times. So far, so good.

In project "B", I added a few new files (eg. x.c and x.h), and now would like to add the same files to project "A". In effect, I'd like to "propagate" only those two files only from "B" to "A". However, if I just add these files to "A", I will get a "non-content conflict" the next time I attempt to propagate from "A" to "B".

In the graph below, assume the new files were added at B1, and I'd now like to add the files to A4. Note that the arrow from A3 to B2 is one of many propagates that have already occured and that there are many intermediate revisions not included in the following graph.

  A1
  |  \
  |   \
  A2   B1
  |     |
  A3-->B2
  |     |
  A4   B3

I'd like to know if there is a way to add the files x.c and x.h to revision A4 such that monotone will consider the files to be the same in both branches. Or, can the unique file id ("birth mark" or what ever it is called) be set/modified on the new files so they will appear to be the same as the original file.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick