[Monotone-devel] mtn copy anyone?

From: Ben Walton
Subject: [Monotone-devel] mtn copy anyone?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:43:10 -0400

Hi All,

A project that I'm currently working on (machine inventory) has me
doing a fair amount of cp foo bar; mtn add bar; edit bar to match the
new machine; lather; rinse; repeat.  I'm not sure if it's been
discussed before, but what are peoples' thoughts about mtn copy?

Two questions initially come to my mind when thinking about this:
1. Should the copy retain the history of the original, but as a forked
version?  This could be tricky in some regards.
2. How much of the external filesystem management toolkit is useful to
duplicate inside monotone?  Is this a good example of something that
could be "plugged into" the lua framework that is called on missing
commands? (Did that branch ever get merged?)

I haven't looked at the code involved to implement this, although if
past history on the file is ignored (and I think it should be,
personally, but I'm sure there is an argument the other way too...) it
would be fairly simple.  I'm more interested presently in what others
think about the idea as a whole.

Thanks
-Ben

Ben Walton <address@hidden>

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When
many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.
Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance