Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Imminent release...

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Imminent release...
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:00:47 +0200

Richard Levitte wrote:
In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:23:12 +0200, Lapo Luchini
<address@hidden> said:

lapo> William Uther wrote:
lapo> >   Is this release still imminent, or should I start merging
lapo> > things into trunk?
lapo> lapo> Also, from 5 to 25 august I will be distracted by sand, sea and
lapo> sun, so I can update cygwin package and freebsd port only if
lapo> imminent is "today or tomorrow" =)

Quite honestly, with monotone only provingly working on the free
Unixen, I'm still ambivalent.  On the other hand, I have no idea what
to do with the logs I've received so far, the errors are just...
weird and seem to depend quite a bit on things that aren't really
related to monotone.

Considering that we really care only since we have the buildbots in place again, it seems a little silly to me to hold back the release.

Supporting all those architectures would of course be nice, and we should certainly strive for cross-platform compatibility. But most probably monotone didn't work and hasn't been used much on AIX or Solaris.

Let's go ahead and call it a release!

I'll upload what I have a little later and see if I can have others
look at it as well.

But seriously, I can see making a release today or tomorrow, as long
as we're ready for whatever comes as a result.

An alternative that has been suggested to me is to make a release
branch in which the problems are worked on while things that are
waiting to merge with the trunk can do so.  What do you think?

To much administrative overhead, IMO.

Regards

Markus