Re: [Monotone-devel] Solaris breakage

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Solaris breakage
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 08:39:45 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:22:02 +1000, William Uther
<address@hidden> said:

willu.mailingLists> Hi,
willu.mailingLists>    Just taking a break from paper editing...  I
willu.mailingLists> decided to look at the solaris breakage.  It makes
willu.mailingLists> no sense to me at all.

Yup, I'm going nuts trying to understand what's happening...

willu.mailingLists>
willu.mailingLists>    The test that is failing is
willu.mailingLists> "clone_warning_with_multiple_heads".  The part of
willu.mailingLists> the test that is failing is where the checked out
willu.mailingLists> directory is removed after the failure - the
willu.mailingLists> directory is being left around.  In particular,
willu.mailingLists> from the buildbot we get:

Question, are you getting the exact same error in a different Solaris
environment?  I'd like to see a "second opinion", so to say.  You see,
I'm wondering if zfs is coming into play here:

willu.mailingLists> mtn: choose one with 'mtn checkout -r<id>'
willu.mailingLists> mtn: error: could not remove
'/zfs_space/export/home/mtbldbot/slave-dir/full-sparc-solaris10-sunstudio11/build/tester_dir/clone_warning_with_multiple_heads/test_dir1':
 Invalid argument

Especially the "Invalid argument" bullshit (sorry) gives me a number
of red flags.  Could there be a special file in there that doesn't get
removed?  Could it be that it was removed in a different manner?  I've
no clue, I've never played with that file system...

willu.mailingLists> I thought this patch might help illuminate things:
willu.mailingLists>
willu.mailingLists> --- file_io.cc  358fb964dc42e7f936a136342b93bb3a4744d1b3
willu.mailingLists> +++ file_io.cc  d91cbbab9f40622e4c264becb0e2067ee218738e
willu.mailingLists> @@ -269,6 +269,9 @@ do_remove_recursive(any_path const & p)
willu.mailingLists>          i != subdirs.end(); i++)
willu.mailingLists>       do_remove_recursive(p / *i);
willu.mailingLists>
willu.mailingLists> +  if (!directory_empty(p))
willu.mailingLists> +    W(F("When attempting to remove directory '%s', we were
unsuccessful removing all the files inside it.") % p);
willu.mailingLists> +
willu.mailingLists>     do_remove(p.as_external());
willu.mailingLists> }
willu.mailingLists>
willu.mailingLists> but I'm wary of committing that as it will make
willu.mailingLists> failures very verbose and slow down every
willu.mailingLists> recursive remove.

If you're worried about verbosity (what is it with Unixly people and
verbosity?????), make it a debugging thingy, not a warning that get's
output always...

Cheers,
Richard

-----