[Monotone-devel] Is this a bug?

From: Sebastian
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Is this a bug?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:44:27 +0200

Hallo there,

I found something misterious (for me at least :) going on when moving
files around in my workspace. This is what I did  (hope it is not too
long):

$ mtn -d test.mtn db init
$ mtn --db test.mtn -b trunk setup trunk
$ cd trunk
$ mkdir a b
$ touch a/a.c
$ mtn add -R a/
mtn: adding a to workspace manifest
mtn: adding a/a.c to workspace manifest
$ mtn commit -k key -m"message"

Note: b/ is not in manifest yet.

$ mtn --execute mv a/a.c b
mtn: renaming a/a.c to b in workspace manifest
mtn: warning: destination b already exists in workspace, skipping
$ mtn add b
mtn: skipping b, already accounted for in workspace          (!!!)

Now two intersting things can happen.
The first one is:

$ mtn commit -m"message"
mtn: warning: expected file 'b', but it is a directory.
mtn: warning: missing b
mtn: misuse: 1 missing files; use 'mtn ls missing' to view
mtn: misuse: To restore consistency, on each missing file run either
mtn: misuse:  'mtn drop FILE' to remove it permanently, or
mtn: misuse:  'mtn revert FILE' to restore it.
mtn: misuse: To handle all at once, simply use
mtn: misuse:  'mtn drop --missing' or
mtn: misuse:  'mtn revert --missing'
$ mtn ls missing                   (!! no answer)
$ mtn revert --missing
mtn: no missing files to revert
$ mtn drop --missing                  (!! no answer)

...and this is another one:

$ mkdir b/c
$ mtn --execute mv a/a.c b/c
mtn: skipping b, already accounted for in workspace
mtn: misuse: a/a.c does not exist in current manifest        (!!!)

The point is:
monotone changes a file (containing code possibly) into a directory
(containing no code at all) ?
And when I try commit, monotone claims, that b is a directory, not a
(now missing, commit says 'b' is missing) file.

Note also, that a/a.c stays where it was.

Note also: 'mtn ls missing' does not list one missing file, but 'commit'
says b is missing.

If this is a Bug - is it fixed in current versions? Or am I
misanderstanding something?

Im using version 0.31 (says mtn --version)
on Debian testing (dpkg says monotone 0.31-8).

Regards, Sebastian

--
Sebastian <address@hidden>