[Monotone-devel] mtn diff --../monotone-0.35/roster.cc:188: invariant 'f

From: Rob Schoening
Subject: [Monotone-devel] mtn diff --../monotone-0.35/roster.cc:188: invariant 'fetching nonexistent entry from children' violated
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 22:25:11 -0700

I found a semi-obscure bug (#20447) with directory renames.  Note that it might be a duplicate of #20125, but since #20125 had no steps to reproduce, I went ahead and opened a new one.  I wouldn't post it to the list were it not for the fact that these assertion failures are so rare now.  ;-)

"mtn diff" fails consistently with the following error:

mtn: fatal: std::logic_error: ../monotone-0.35/roster.cc:188: invariant 'fetching nonexistent entry from children' violated
mtn: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
mtn: please send this error message, the output of 'mtn --full-version',
mtn: and a description of what you were doing to address@hidden.
mtn: wrote debugging log to C:/dev/temp/test/_MTN/debug
mtn: if reporting a bug, please include this file

Steps to reproduce on Windows & *nix:

1) Given a directory and file dir1/test.txt
2) mtn mv dir1 dir2
3) edit dir2/test.txt & change content
4) mtn diff dir2/test.txt

Note that (4) will not fail unless you perform both
steps (2) and (3).

Note also that running "mtn diff" with no path
argument works fine.

Note also that you are still able to commit
and after the changes are committed, the problem
goes away.