Re: [Monotone-devel] Packages for Debian testing

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Packages for Debian testing
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:09:37 +0200

Jon Bright <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi,
>
> Zack Weinberg wrote:
>>
>> some time to figure it out.  [ I am not certain 0.33-2 will actually
>> go into testing after ten days - grep-excuses seems to think bug
>> 425907 is relevant even though it affects 0.31-8 too, and *may* be
>> confused about which boost libraries it needs... but we don't have to
>> worry about that right now, anyway. ]
>
> I'm not sure exactly how the excuses script works, but
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/version.cgi?width=;info=1;height=;found=monotone%2F0.31-8;package=monotone;format=png;collapse=0;ignore_boring=0
>
> seems to indicate that it thinks 0.33-2 isn't a direct descendent of
> 0.31-8 - maybe this is why it thinks that's a problem?

I looked at the changelog, and indeed it has branches.  For example
the current changelog (0.33-2) does not list 0.31-8 (or -7) at all.
So I closed the two bugs; they will not block monotone from going into
testing.  However, boost has been blocked for 53 days by 2 RC bugs;
one of them is fixed in experimental but the other one (#429533) seems
problematic.

The 0.33-2 in unstable is built against boost 1.34.0-1, which has both
bugs.  Also, it was built with g++-4.2 (the new default C++ compiler
as of two weeks ago), so watch out for any bugs.  I think it is
appropriate to allow the package to mature a little more in unstable.

Personally I run testing and I am content with 0.31-6 for now.  (I do
have an unstable chroot for building packages).

--
Ludovic Brenta.