Re: [Monotone-devel] New commands (for mtn, in lua)

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New commands (for mtn, in lua)
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 17:27:44 +0200

On Friday 06 July 2007, William Uther wrote:
>    mtn_automate(...) : This allows any of the automate commands to be
> called from lua.  The result is returned as a string.

Seems like something one really wants to have.

However, there is potential for deadlocks, when some command calls a Lua hook
that calls an automate command that calls a Lua hook...

>    alias_command( new_command, old_command) : Add a new command alias
> to an existing command.

Likely to confuse people. Experienced users will have aliases and talk
about 'blame' and 'praise', but the newcomers wonder what's going on.

>    register_command(command, abstract, description, lua_function) :
> Adds a new command to the "user" group of commands.  When the command
> is called, the associated lua function is executed.  That lua will
> normally use mtn_automate() calls to do its work.

Same problem as above.

> I also added automate versions of the following normal commands:
> push, pull, sync, merge, update and commit.

Good!

> These are currently not
> very 'automate' friendly in that they still output everything to
> standard out.  They work for this purpose though.

You mean they don't work with automate stdio? If so, that would be bad.

Best,
Thomas

--
Thomas Moschny  <address@hidden>