Re: [Monotone-devel] Release?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Release?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:17:13 -0800

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 11:02:28PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> There's been lots of talk about making a release.  I was actually
> planning on doing one just before the summit, but got distracted, and
> when I saw all the good stuff that was being committed, I thought a
> release could wait.
>
> Now, there's talk of making a release of what was there before the
> summit.  That's revision 8fb58caca4fa27408211c789f84c96c881755013.  On
> the other hand, at the beginning of the summit period, there were some
> good additions which I'm not sure were part of the summit work itself,
> and among others, that was additions to the NEWS file.  The latest
> change I could find is in 2bf2e248fcbbabb1c53e53e80c58af7fcb05f5e5,
> and that's right in the middle of several lines of development, so I'm
> wondering what to grab and what not to.  Personally, I would still
> rather make a release of the latest there is, for the sake of making
> things simple.

I was thinking of a release 'round about
  19f1659a00d3df5076f768fba98463812a182a36
which is where the 'ls unknown in subdir crashes' fix landed -- just
because there are probably other regressions on mainline after all the
churn, and that was the bug that was really annoying everyone, so in
a perfect world it'd be nice to get out a release that had only the
bug fixes for people to use.  But do whatever you're comfortable with
-- no-one's going to stab us through the heart for having an
unpolished release :-).

The best book on programming is still Strunk and White.