Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.experiment.pcre - boost::regex replacement

From: Matt Johnston
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.experiment.pcre - boost::regex replacement
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 22:54:13 +0900

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 05:08:43PM -0500, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> Along those lines, are there any remaining Monotone-specific patches
> to Botan? README.botan-monotone doesn't mention anything, and I saw
> that the previous patches to pkcs8.cpp aren't in there anymore, but I
> haven't done a full diff.
>
> Of course Botan isn't as widespread as PCRE, but it is in Debian,
> Gentoo, and the BSDs. And a version of Botan that is compiled with the
> asm extensions is often 3-5x faster on 64-bit systems at RSA, which
> might help a bit with checkout times.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have. I guess the bundled Botan could
also use the asm code with a bit of automake fiddling.

There are currently two patches (as well as the gzip
module). One is to allow 256 letter arc4 keys (rather than
32 letters), used only for migrating legacy private keys to
the new format.

The second is a small change to base64, so that
newline breaks are always added to the output. This is quite
important as hashes in certificates are (unfortunately)
sha1(base64(data)), so whitespace compatibility with
Crypto++ matters.

I guess both could be dealt with as separate modules.

Matt