Re: [Monotone-devel] Manifest Comments

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Manifest Comments
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:50:49 +0100

Hi,

Thomas Keller wrote:
I've not followed this thread completly, but I'd rather tend to extend existing infrastructure than introducing complexity with new levels of metadata (like manifest comments or the like) - if this is really needed. Why shouldn't it be possible to implement hide/read-only settings for file attributes? These would just be flags which would be introduced and honored in a couple of places.

That's what I'm questioning. I've quickly looked into rosters.cc and thought about implementing 'vanishing attributes', but I came to the impression that adding another type of attributes is getting messy. Probably adding a flag to the existing attributes would be easier, but where to add that?

I thought into another direction: I was asking myself, what else such 'manifest comments' could be used for. And figured that many certs never change after the revision has been written, i.e. author, changelog and date. Why not store those the same way, we would gain delta compression for those (which might not actually be that much, given that author and changelog change quite often). We would loose the ability to quickly search through them, this would have to be done differently.

I don't know about other possible uses, but maybe you can think of it as an extension and optimization of certs. (at least those which can be read-only after rev. has been written.)

This is brainstorming, I might be terribly wrong.

Regards

Markus