Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Using monotone in a team

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Using monotone in a team
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:37:16 +1100

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 01:04:45PM -0000, Boris wrote:
> > You can use:
> >
> >  log {--diffs} --next n
>
> Why curly brackets for diff?

Because I wasn't paying attention.. i meant [--diffs] to indicate the
option was.. optional.

> >  diff -r h:
> >
> > The latter will show you the inverse diffs that would take the newly
> > arrived head back to your current workspace contents..  we still lack
>
> This only works after an update command and the newly arrived head has been
> added to the workspace already, right?

No, after the new revs have arrived in a pull or a sync.

h: is a selector for "the heads of a branch", and defaults to the
current branch of not named.  After a sync, new heads may have
arrived, and hence you are considering an update and want to find out
what it will do.

Giving diff one -r argument takes the diff between the current
workspace and that revision (rather than the base).  So if you have no
uncomitted changes, the result is what I described: a diff that shows
what your workspace has 'undone' from the (new) head, or in other
words a reversed diff of the changes an update would apply.

If you new your base revision, you could get the diff you really
wanted with diff -r <base> -r h:, it's just that we don't have a
simple generic way to refer to <base> other than by knowing it in
advance.  Adding that is one of the Quickie Tasks a new contributor
could start with.

It's a little cheesy, but was meant as an example to help things gel
together.  In practice, I would recommend log --diff --next, or using
monotone-viz.  The same sorts of questions can apply to a 'merge' as
well as an 'update', and it's much more useful to explore parallel
changes in these ways.

--
Dan.