Re: [Monotone-devel] RFE: have monotone check line endings on commit

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] RFE: have monotone check line endings on commit
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 07:08:32 -0500

One of the things that is missing in this discussion are real concrete
use-cases.

The main one that I have had to contend with is:

Assumption 1: VCS does no line ending conversion.
Assumption 2: Line endings in repository are all "correct" per the project's
conventions
Assumption 3: All editors in use by developers can correctly handle
non-native (to their workstation) line endings
Step 1: User makes minor modification to workspace file
Step 2: User XYZ *unwittingly* saves/commits a file with a different line
ending than the previous revision.
Step 3: Monotone now thinks that every line in the file has changed. Diff &
merges break.

One use case that may have been covered, but that I haven't seen addressed yet:

I work (unfortunately) on a windows machine, but use cygwin where possible to have a more familiar (sane) set of tools. On this machine, all of the source code has windows style line endings, even though my cygwin install is configured to
use unix line endings.

Most of the time I have no problems, however when I propagate or merge rev's,
the automatically merged files end up with unix style line endings on next
checkout/update.  This is (probably) caused by my mixed environment, but is
annoying none-the-less

I think some sort of attribute that specified the type of line-endings that a
particular file should have on checkout would help.

Patrick