Re: [Monotone-devel] listing unknown directories

From: Rob Schoening
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] listing unknown directories
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:55:28 -0800

The current behavior is entirely consistent with what I would expect.

My goal is always to have "mtn ls unknown" to produce no output: a file in a workspace should either be known or it should be ignored.  But I can see that in your case (where you're not tracking project source code), this might not be the case.

If this patch could be optionally enabled with "--no-recurse-uknown" or similar, that would be fine.  Or alternately if the current behavior was supported with a swtich, that might be OK too.

The reason the current behavior is important is that it is very easy to look at the output and determine whether a directory listed is empty or full of files.  One's next action (whether to add, drop, or ignoore) usually depends on this fact.

* * *

Incidentally, the 0.31 change where mtn add is non-recursive by default is much welcomed.  This was causing me to have to undo a lot of "mtn add" operations by editing the files in _MTN.  For anyone that is interested, the situation usually went like this:

You have the following directory structure:

a/
a/b
a/c

And then create a directory x, which is a sibling of a:

x/

And then move b and c into x

x/b
x/c

And then want to commit.  Monotne would tell me "x is unknown" so then I would add x, only to realize moments later that it had added b and c, when what I really wanted it to do was add x and *move* b and c.

Since switching to 0.31, I have not had this problem. ;-)

This use-case turns up a lot in the early stages of java development when packages tend to get renamed.

RS