Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy

From: Joel Crisp
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:18:07 +0000

Just a general comment on this thread. Please don't forget that text files are not the only ones which require special handling. There can be other file formats such as XML which need special merge handling.

Clearcase handles this with the file type manager, which allows you to associate a type with each file then specify the behaviour for things like diff, merge and format conversion.

Joel

On 11/22/06, Nuno Lucas <address@hidden> wrote:
> Does that mean that you have C code in ASCII with comments embedded in a
> completely different characte set?

What I called IBM-860 is just a variation of ASCII. It's the same as
having an UTF-8 C source file with comments in a foreigner language
(e.g., with accents). IBM-437 (or CP-437) is the US-English code page,
and IBM-850 (or CP-850) is the multi-lingual code-page (contains most
of the graphics symbols 437 has, but lacks things like uppercase
accented vowels).

> Just curious -- is IBM 860 some variety of EBCDIC?  And is the file
> record-structured so that all 256 character codes are available (in
> principle) for text other than newlines?  So that as far as character
> coding is concerner, end-of-line is handled by a form of out-of-oband
> signalling?

To clarify a bit, IBM-860 is the same as ASCII for the ASCII part
(0..127) and characters for the portuguese locale in the above 128
characters (mostly accented vowels).

If you have an old matrix printer around (or something like a receipt
printer), take a look on the apendix pages, where all this code pages
usually are.

> > For example, I can have a directory with many different translations
> > of a document (in text, off course), each one with it's own encoding.
> > While I would be happy if checkout handles line endings automatically
> > for me, I would  be very surprised if it decides to handle the text
> > encoding.
>
> Do we have a situation in which each file has its own encoding?  Or one
> in which different parts of a file have different encodings?

I was talking of the case of different file encodings, but I forgot
the case of different encodings on the same file, which is not as rare
as you may think. in my case there are 3 languages the program
"talks", and all strings are defined on a single C source file
(remember this was an old DOS application). They all use ISO-8859-1
(actually they were converted from IBM-860 too), but that is just
because the characters needed are all there (all western european
languages, namely portuguese, french, spanish and an incomplete -
unused - english one).

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas